Friday, September 25, 2015

27 years later

Today - 27 years.

July 7, 2012

September 25, 1988

  


Well, that's just of marriage!  We met when we were 14.
Prom - Freshman year 1985
At that time girls played basketball at the same time as football season. Yes - for all you southerners ... We played full court basketball.

When the football team came in from practice and sat down on the bleachers, the coach told us to line up for conditioning.  "You have got to be kidding me right?!?" I muttered under my breath ... The nifty contact lenses Mom had finally gotten me were left at home and back in the 80's those glasses took up half your face. To say I did not enjoy that day's running is a huge understatement! 

As we were on what felt like our 12th suicide, somehow a new boy caught my eye. What's this?!? New blood?!? 

As hard as it is for me to admit I was very shallow. If there were someone new in town I had to pursue.  I just had to know if I were good enough.  If they would want to date Me. I fooled most people and they Thought I was very confident but everything I did was driven by making sure I would have no rejection. There were a few who were never interested and that bothered me more than the amount of success I DID have.  Of all the boys I thought I had crushes on, when we dated there were but just a couple that I ever dated more than once.  Only one I kept coming back to and eventually landed total loyalty with.
I mean really ... 


I became friends with this new interest and we ended up having algebra and study hall together.  Every day we would sit in study hall and work the entire algebra lesson together - I didn't get it and that irritated me.  He appeared to understand it but only just by enough to help me. Years later he told me that he always already had that homework done but wasn't much of a talker and I made him nervous (psshhhh) so he always started at #1 and worked the entire assignment with me again during 7th hour.  We became friends.  Finally by about Fall Break we had begun flirting to lead to that feeling that you Knew they were interested.  I do not remember exact dates like most girls, but at some point His Friend - told My Friend that he liked me and one night Someone suggested we go driving around together (yes kids this was big stuff and all we had to do!).  A few months later we began "going out" and one night after a school dance - a 6ft basketball star and friend of mine (!?) met me in the parking lot and accused me of stealing him from her friend!!  Things escalated and she took a swing and landed a punch and I swung back and landed a punch (significantly lower than hers!) and then she grabbed my hair and begun to swing me around.  Thank the Lord someone broke it up before I had to claim a total loss!  When I walked in the door and told my dad he walked me back out to the front step and handed me a bat and said "Don't come back until you haven't run away from a fight."

I stood on the porch and cried holding that stupid bat and thought - "What in the world am I supposed to do!  I am NOT going back to look for Mrs. Amazon!"  Finally through the door I convinced my father that I had NOT run away from a fight ... I in fact swung back and landed a punch and at that point a teacher broke it up and there was no way I could go back and start this without getting expelled from school!   He actually knew I would not be headed to town (or that if I did he would be following me to keep me - and her safe).  He had made his point - If someone comes after you - don't run ... stand your ground and don't let them think you're scared.  Done ....(sniff sniff)

As I established before, I was not full of character at that point and very driven by acceptance from the opposite sex.  I think I broke up with him 4 times throughout high school for several months at a time.  Jokingly I tell him that I kept breaking up with him because "well ... you wanted me to be SURE didn't you!?  There was only one way to prove that to myself!"   Really, I just had to chase the insecurity that I could be desirable to the opposite sex.  It's a wonder he kept taking me back.

Senior Prom 1988

There are a lot of great memories in between ... What is odd is that I don't have any pictures other than these of us dating.  (do not  - I repeat do NOT randomly post them on social media if you have them ... you can email them to me at HMWestover@gmail.com   LOL  there are a LOT of horrible pictures of me out there and I just don't have that much time for therapy left in my lifetime) I have separate pictures of us ...
Cleaning out his truck?!  I never knew he took this picture until a couple years ago 

Bass Fishing 




 This blog started as just a way to document stories for my girls and have some fun.  Maybe those other  stories can be posted later - when All of my girls are adults (LOL).  

But my married life started out with a tiny diamond wedding set that cost $89 ... Now I have the wedding set I love.... It's not traditional ... but neither are we.  Sapphires for a September anniversary. 

27 years - 5 girls - 4 bonus kids in and out of our home - 2 grandkids - and I'm ready for more. I can only thank God that by the time we married and started having children I was delivered from the need for attention from the opposite sex that I had back then.  A lot of people placed bets on whether it would last and I don't blame you.  But it has - and it will, thanks to God - Corey - a heritage and testimony from my Grandmother and my parents that speak volumes to me about long lasting marriages. 

May 2015



Happy Anniversary Corey

No comments:

Featured Post

Women's Lib Pshhhhh

P.S. A woman's place is wherever she can be a Woman in every sense - including being polite.  Ladies - Ladies For decades women ...