Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Mermaids and Santa Claus



I know you know this but - I have 5 girls.  The ways they are different astound me every day.  #5 is so different from the older four.  Arriving 10 years after the rest of the group, she has many quirks that just simply set her apart.

She loves getting her nails painted when I go to the salon.  Now - in fairness to the other girls who were tomboys ... They might have enjoyed a manicure as well, but it just wasn't a luxury I allowed myself when they were all young.  I didn't even have a dishwasher most of the time so worrying about nail polish just seemed unrealistic.

Piper, over the years of accompanying me on the trips for nail polish has developed an appreciation for the activity; to the point of downloading several nail art apps on my phone and she spends her time waiting on me to get done by designing her own nail art and saving all of the many pictures to my phone.

My Nail Lady has been a friend for decades ... When my #4 was little she played softball with Tracy's little girl and our husbands coached together.  She kind of  loves Piper and all of her quirks and looks forward to all of our visits.

Somewhere along the way Tracy missed the part that we don't celebrate Santa in the traditional way everyone else does.  Sure we leave cookies and there are gifts that say From: Santa but from the beginning our kids always know that Santa is us.  There's many reasons but they only really are necessary to us.  It's just how we've always done it.  So getting our nails painted the other night Piper goes first and Tracy is telling me this story about someone putting coal in their teenager's stocking ... Then you can see it come all over her and she begins to fumble.  She stutters and says "Piper - Santa would NEVER put coal in someone's stocking. - He loves All Children and ...."

Piper is giving her that smile like  "uh - huh" and being as polite as she can until she sees a moment and looks at me across the room and whispers "Can I tell her??????"   Grinning I nod "yes - go ahead"  and Piper says  "Tracy - I don't believe in Santa Claus."    We had a great giggle and teased our friend a little at how she was trying to cover such a mishap up!

We continue on with great conversation and Netflix playing some mermaid movie happily in the background.  Until Tracy says something about 'that silly Mermaid show' .....  when Piper stiffens that little backbone and gets that serious yet sarcastic look on her face and as honest as she can be says to my friend ....

"Well I DO believe in Mermaids."    No smile - just simple fact and sheesh what's wrong with her today attitude.  

I love her so much and her ability to keep everyone around her on their toes!  Mermaids People - It's where it's at!


No comments:

Featured Post

Women's Lib Pshhhhh

P.S. A woman's place is wherever she can be a Woman in every sense - including being polite.  Ladies - Ladies For decades women ...